  From: Steffen Seeger <s.seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de>
  To  : GGI GGI <ggi-develop@eskimo.com>
  Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:40:02 +0200 (MEST)

KGI: BETA state for compatibility module (fwd)

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:38:29 +0200 (MEST)

Hello everybody.

======================================
KGI-0.9 has reached a major milestone.
======================================

The KGI-0.9 console subsystem is reasonably stable to actually work with it.
At least that's my impression. I have put a new snapshot on my
homepage, you can download it from

http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~sse/ggi/kgi-0.9-990329.tar.gz

I would kindly ask everybody to test it extensively and give feedback on it.
Also, please spread the word and put a _kind_ notify message to the fbcon
mailing list. It just boots and looks very similar to a stock 2.2 kernel,
but the internals have changed radically. Console code, display drivers and
input driver, as well as framebuffer device/graphics accelerator code
are very well separated. Just what they wanted to do, right :-))
It's designed from the ground up to be ready for
multihead/multi-input and reasonably compatible.

It works! WAHHOOOO!!!

Things added/changed:
- the console switching bug is fixed.
- console reference counting is fixed (rebooting works now)
- /dev/psaux emulation added. PS/2 mouse users will have a mouse in X
  now as well.

It has a few known bugs/missing features:
- some PS/2 mice/keyboards are not detected properly
- console goes blank after Midnight commander exited
- keyboard LED's don't work

Things to do next:

- merge contributions for some unknown/unsupported keyboards/mice.
- enable /dev/graphics code
- fix display drivers
- go multi-display/multi-input (The code is prepared, you should basically
  be able to do that right now with a VGA/MDA combination, but I haven't had
  the time to verify.)
- get XGGI running on plain frame buffer
- merge GLX and XAA into XGGI
- demonstrate the benefits
- write documentation
- REALEASE!!!!!!!

So please, please pleaaase give me more feedback!
[back coding...]

			Steffen

----------------- e-mail: seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de -----------------