  From: Brian Julin <bri@forcade.calyx.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 11:05:57 -0500 (EST)

Re: Some more "texturetalk"

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Kenneth Johansson wrote:
> May I suggest that you separate the memory management and sprite into two
> different things.

Yes, that's the way I'm doing it.  There are three components --
the libGGIBufGrid component is the one I'm working on right now
and it does the multiplexing of the back-end visuals based on coordinates.
(It will also have an alternate set of API functions for people
who find it difficult to work with translated coordinates,
like the DM extension has, e.g. ggiPutPixelSlot(vis, slot, x, y, col))
The first version will be rather hacky and not thread-safe, but
I'll cross that bridge after something is functional.  I have
the framework for this up and am pecking away at it.

The second part, libGGIAuxBuf will handle negotiating the needed
buffers with the back-end, getting the suggest strings for the renderers,
etc.

The third part will be (perhaps) specific to the type of buffer you
are using.  Most of the stuff that's BLT or sprite-like will
go through libGGISprite, but the 3d textures will maybe have
their own separate API.  I've never used those so I probably
will need help figuring out what that API should be.

> Then we have textures that have
> a multitude of different formats and also need to be in onboard memeory.

Would you have time to outline common 3d texture formats for the
GGHPG in the framebuffer layout section?
(http://www.calyx.com/~bri/projects/GGI/GGPG/

--
P.C.M.C.I.A. stands for "Plastic Connectors May Crack If Adjusted"
                                                             -- me