  From: James Simmons <jsimmons@edgeglobal.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:50:54 -0500 (EST)

Re: monitor code.

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Steffen Seeger wrote:

> > By the way I came across a the old console problem. With my patch you can
> > compile vagcon and /dev/fb as a non console device. So I run a program
> > like ggi that uses /dev/fb no problem. When I switch consoles and go back
> > it switches back to vgacon and I lost /dev/fb. Its so braindead. I realize
> > the solution is to seperate the vt switching code from the console code. I
> > will present this solution to the fb kernel group.
>
> Guess what the KGI console code does, and why...
>
> And: IT WORKS!!!!! YOU CAN LOOK AT IT!!! (kgi-0.9-9903*.tar.gz)

I HAVE!!!!

> [Bashing my head against a wall to calm down...]

Relax. With your code and ggi console I have been designing the new system
to include in my patch. The most important goal is to change a few drivers
as possible. Believe me I have been converting the present video drivers
in the kernel to the new system. Its a lot of work. In this case I have
made writing the drivers much easier. The kernel code is shrinking fast.

By the way when will the KGI drivers be ported to the new API. Another
question. One thing I really like about kgicon is the spliting of the
clock, ramdac, chipset code. With the new API I hope this is still
possible. No need to same the same code in several places. Thats the idea
behind my patch.

James Simmons
System Admin
EdgeNet Inc