  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 19:50:53 -0800 (PST)

Re: Mouse in GII is acting wierd

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Marcus Sundberg wrote:

> Jon M. Taylor wrote:

> Ah! For LibGGI applications the env variable to set is GGI_INPUT,
> but as it actually responds to your movement it means that an incorrect
> protocol is selected somewhere else.
>
> The fbdev and other Linux console based targets tries to extract
> what mouse you have from the SVGAlib config file.

	Ugh.  OK, that must be the problem then.  [Checks] yep, it was set
to 'Microsoft'.  Can I ask why this check is done instead of checking what
/dev/mouse is linked to?  That should _always_ be correct or your mouse
will not work in anything.  Even checking /etc/X11/XF86Config would be
more reliable than checking the SVGAlib config - RedHat installs SVGAlib
by default, but does not configure it.  Therefore, anyone like myself with
a 'full' RedHat install who has never bothered to configure SVGAlib will
always have an SVGAlib config file, but the odds are that it'll be
configured wrong - it defaults to a Microsoft mouse, but almost everyone
these days has a PS/2 mouse.  Please consider making SVGAlib the option of
last resort if /dev/mouse and /etc/X11/XF86Config cannot provide the info.

> Either check that
> the mouse is properly configured there, or create a file
> ~/.ggi/input-linux-mouse containing the lines
> mouse PS2
> mdev /dev/psaux
> which will then override the SVGAlib config file.

	Don't we have this same config info somewhere in /etc/ggi/?  If
not, IMHO we should.  .config files in the user's home dir should only be
used to overload a master /etc config file, not replace it.  You can't
always reliably autodetect everything, and the ability to easily hardwire
the config info should be present.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'