  From: Steffen Seeger <s.seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:40:07 +0100 (MET)

Re: KGI - PLEASE TEST IT!!!

> On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 02:12:27PM +0100, Steffen Seeger wrote:
> > ANYONE WILLING TO CONTRIBUTE, THIS IS YOUR CHANCE!
> >
> > Get it from http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~sse/ggi/degas-990307.tar.gz
> > try to install it:
> >
> > ... untar a plain 2.2.1 kernel in /usr/src
> [..]
>
> Is it possible to use this with at least 2.2.2-ac*?  There are things in
> 2.2.1 which break for me.  I've been playing with matroxfb, but I have
> really wanted to try out kgi/kgicon for comparison's sake if nothing
> else.

2.2.2 works, 2.2.3 is reported to cause slight troubles, but
will be supported in the next snapshot (probably next monday,
may be even this week.) However, please be aware that it shouldn't do
much more than being compatible for the moment, however, the true
functionality will be enabled step by step now.

To force patching, invoke the second make (in kgi/Linux) as

make KERNEL_VERSION=2.2.0

This will force the scripts to apply the 2.2.0 patch, but may fail.
You have to check by hand for rejected hunks. A log of the patching
is in /usr/src/linux/*.err

Happy testing,
			Steffen

NOTE: It has still lots of debugging code enabled, (e.g. the splash screen)
This will be disabled in the final version.

----------------- e-mail: seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de -----------------