  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:56:04 +0100 (MET)

Re: installation woes

Hi !

> Okay, I've tried choosing "generic" for the monitor and "VGA" for
> everything else, and now when I insmod the driver, I get:

> gblues:~/ggi/kgicon/kgi# insmod kgicon.o
> IBM VGA chipset driver rev $Revision: 1.16 $
> vga.c:193: Giving up: FCTRL r/w test failedand no alternate PIO.
>
> error: kgim_chipset_init failed
> error: init_kgi() failed, bailing out....
> kgicon.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

This indicates a not-quite-VGA-compatible card. I get the same problem
when I run the VGA KGi driver under BOCHS.

AFAIK you can safely comment out the range between (inclusive):

        temp1 = io_in8(FCTRLr);
and
        io_out8(temp1, (IS_MONO_IO ? FCTRLwm : FCTRLwc));

Please check if that works. If it does, we should make that check optional.

> kgicon.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

Check /var/log/messages, please. That might be the kernel holding the VGA
ports. Most drivers have been "fixed" to ignore this error, though I
don't know about ET6000.

CU, Andy

--
Andreas Beck              |  Email :  <Andreas.Beck@ggi-project.org>