  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:22:33 +0100 (MET)

Re: Sprites in video memory

Hi !

> >  > P.P.S. I'm confused as to what the criterion being used to decide
> >  > if something goes in the visual or in the GC might be ...
> >  > why are the gamma correction values in the visual, for example?

> My understanding is, that the GC can be shared with a hardware driver and
> only stuff that the hardware driver would use _directly_ go in there.

Exactly. The reasoning is, that the GC should contain stuff that is needed
while doing graphics operations and that is likely to change often, even if
no call to the driver is made for long times (software rendering).
You usually don't change your gamma often, and if you do, you have to call
the driver anyway to reflect the change.

The opposite is true for e.g. the fg-color.

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =