  From: Tristan Wibberley <bloater@ps.cus.umist.ac.uk>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:50:18 +0000

Re: XFree86 4.0 and GGI

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 02:37:57AM -0600, Justin Bradford wrote:

> > > However, the move to driver modules makes GGI and XFree86 a lot more
> > > alike, so driver "swapping" via thin interface layers may be a very
> > > real possibility, which would hopefully lead to some kind of
> > > consolidation.
> >
> > 	Maybe.  Like I said, we'll see.
>
> You said in a previous mail that you expect all of the open source drivers
> to converge eventually, so I'm curious what you expect to happen. Do you
> think XFree86 will see the light, or will GGI just make their drivers
> insignificant? Or something else?

The only thing stopping XFree developers working with GGI ones is the
video drivers in the kernel. Because KGI is there to make graphics on the
console work well, the console must be able to use it - and on Linux at
least the console is in the kernel. If there is any way to make a small KGI
server that uses IPC and which the console can be forced to use, there is
nothing stopping XFree working with us (other than pride).

--
Tristan Wibberley