  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 18:31:09 +0000

Re: install problems (cross compile)

Peter Danielsson wrote:

> I have decided to try a new snapshot and cross
> compile to our system (arm-linux based).
>
> So far I have found a couple of issues:
>
> -libgii still uses some ugly coding:
> linuxkbd includes both from libc and include/linux, this
> works on intel but on the arm some of the headers are not
> compatible. A quick solution is to try to use the files
> in include/sys instead (where possible)

Oh, I remember now that you reported this before. Please test
if it works now.

> -disable-x does not affect the make of demos for libgii.
> My target doesn't have X (I intend to use a framebuffer based
> solution) but the makefile wants to build demos that uses X.
> Editing the makefile to not inclue the demos subdir solves the
> problem, but I think it should be automatic.

To disable X you should use --without-x, --disable-x is just
for the input-x sublib.

> -fbdev is impossible to configure while cross-compiling.
> The autoconf macro HAVE_MMAP always defines a cross target
> to be without mmap. This is where I'm stuck at the moment.
> the only solution short of messing with autoconf stuff is to
> edit the configure file but this is ugly!

Yes, some of the autoconf builtin macros doesn't support
cross-compiling.
The best thing we can do is add flags to force things those things
to the right value.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se