  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 23:31:58 +0100 (MET)

Re: KGIcon/Riva TNT make problems

Hi !

> I tried to compile KGIcon, from the 990303 snapshot.
> I couldn't select riva tnt in the chip and ramdac menus, when I did
> something flickered by and I was back in the previous menu with
> nothing selected for that item. In the clock menu, I could select it
> though.

Try fixbits or simply making the .configure files executable.

> So I went ahead and tried to compile it with ibm vga.
> Then I got make errors about missing files referenced to by
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h, and true enough: I don't have any of
> those files (.ver files) on my hdd.

That sounds like an incorrectly built kernel. You should turn off
modeversioning in kernel when compiling. It _should_ work with, but if
trouble occurs, it's better to turn it off to rule out one case.

> Also, someone told me that the libggi fbdev target should work with
> the VESA framebuffer driver from the kernel. I have compiled that into
> the kernel, but /proc/fb is size 0. Must it be a module?

This one has to be enabled. I don't use it, so I don't know how. I suppose
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/* shows ...

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =