  From: Steffen Seeger <s.seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 13:29:02 +0100 (MET)

Re: KGI: ported to Linux 2.2.0

> On 03 08, Steffen Seeger wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > the Degas/KGI has been ported to Linux 2.2.0/2.2.1 (2.2.2 to be checked
> > today.)
> >
> > A few minor bugs (CAPS-LOCK not working properly,...) have been fixed
> > too, but the main change was to get it patching 2.2.x.
> >
> > The package can be found at
> > http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~sse/ggi/degas-990307.tar.gz
> >
> > Happy testing,
>
> tested it a bit :)
>
> 1) It compiled correctly after I noticed that I had to disable the
>    console system of the kernel :)

The default config options enable it, didn't they? And if you disable KGI,
you should have the normal kernel options again.

> 2) it booted okay after changing my keyboard which has 18 extra keys for
>    a default board. Loadkeys worked okay and I could type dvorak after
>    being frightened by QWERTZ and umlauts :)

Fine. Did CAPS-LOCK work for all special (umlauts, etc.) keys work?

> 3) scrolling was okay, but an annoying '=' appeared in the first column
>    every now and then..

This is debugging code marking the wrap-around.

> And there were some random bugs with cursor
>    placement, though I could not reproduce those easily.. All ncurses
>    things worked okay..

Please try to reproduce these.

> 4) x11 and svgalib programs started correctly and left the console in
>    a usable state! However I ended up with 1 virtual console, being unable
>    to switch to the others with Alt-F? or Alt-l/r.

Known bug. However, I have to trace that down.

>    After starting up x11 I could switch back to a given vc with Ctrl-Alt-F?,
>    even after I only had 1 console, but then I was unable to get back to
>    either x11 or any other console.

This is a new one, but related.

> 5) The cursor was the famous yellow block. The splash screen worked :)

Could be considered a feature, but is a bug :-)

> Is it possible already to have a bit of graphics, or is that libggi code
> really only stub code? I could not get it to compile inside the current
> libggi releases..

No, not yet.

> It was very cool to taste a bit of KGI after so long again ! :) Thanks :)

Thanks for testing!

			Steffen

----------------- e-mail: seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de -----------------