  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:45:43 -0800 (PST)

Re: Kgi vs. XFree 4.0

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Jos Hulzink wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looking to the specs of the videocard drivers coming with XFree 4.0 (true
> multiheading, etc),

	"Coming" is very much in the future tense.  As soon as the XFree86
4.0 drivers have anywhere close to the true mix 'n match, no-brainer
multihead support of KGI, I'll take another look.

> I'm wondering if KGICON shouldn't merge with the XFree
> drivers.

	I'm sure all free driver sources will merge eventually.

> We have trouble getting most drivers working well, and they
> already got 2D accelleration for most cards.

	This is simply a matter of programmer time.

> I think that kgicon will
> have a hard time becoming a serious option for graphics if development
> keeps going this slow...

	Um, the existing 2D drivers mean very little to the establishment
of KGIcon as a viable option, if not the best option.  *New* drivers are
what will push this forward.  The existing drivers serve as a design/
prototyping arena and give people coding practice.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed