  From: Brian Julin <bri@forcade.calyx.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 10:33:21 -0500 (EST)

Re: Sprites in video memory

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999 becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:
> Exactly. I really want to know, what you are all argueing about.
>
> You have memvisuals, and you have the subtarget, so where is the problem ?
> Except for the little problem, that you can't specifically allocate just
> one "offscreen area" if you have multiple frames.

These are the issues that have been raised:

1) The textures/sprites may have a different layout than the main memory
visual.

2) The visual structure needed for a memory target is too bulky --
you could have 100s or 1000s of textures.

3) There seems to be some desire to run a cache where textures
are moved in and out of VRAM autoatically.

4) There needs to be a way to request diffent types of ancillary
buffers e.g. Z buffer, space for two sprites, a BLT pattern area, and
an area for storing 5 3d textures.

#3 is not relevant to the GGI API; the others are.

--
P.C.M.C.I.A. stands for "Plastic Connectors May Crack If Adjusted"
                                                             -- me