  From: teunis <teunis@computersupportcentre.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 06:56:07 -0700 (MST)

Re: Dead keys

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Marcus Sundberg wrote:

> Andrew Apted wrote:
> >
> > Marcus writes:
> >
> > >  How do we want to support dead keys?
> > >
> > >  "sym" is fairly obvious, GIIK_VOID when a dead key is pressed and
> > >  then the symbol when the next key is pressed. What about "label"?
> > >  People might have both normal and dead versions of the same key,
> > >  so we need labels for them.
> >
> > No, labels aren't affected.  There is only one label per key (so you can't
> > have "normal and dead versions").

[clip]
> > Hehehe, it's funny you say that, we used to have it (from linux: KT_DEAD).
>
> I know, but then it wasn't defined what purpose it had in the GII API,
> and the code badly needed a cleanup as you know.
>
> > There isn't really a big need for it IMHO, either you know the dead key
> > (e.g. DIERESIS) and handle it in a switch() statement, or you don't know
> > it and you ignore it.  Hmmm... do _applications_ really want to know ?
> > I don't think so.
>
> As mentioned above they'll want to know the label in case there
> is another (undead? ;) key with the same label.
>
> > Now, should we add code to e.g. linux-kbd to do dead key processing ?
>
> Yes, that's the last piece missing before LibGII has the best keyboard
> handling system in the known universe. ;-)

So when will libGII support asian keyboards?
>From browsing the Java-1.2 sources it seems there's a number of extra keys
and/or capabilities on some of those systems...
Just curious that's all...
(I've only seen a 386/laptop (JDOS) and stroke-based Chinese keyboard..
and neither for any length of time)

[where frequently a graphical database is a necessity to select which one
of many possible characters fits the current selection....]

G'day, eh? :)
	- Teunis