  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 13:19:51 +0000

Re: mice and plug 'n prey

teunis wrote:

> Heya - I've got one of those silly PS/2 mice that follow PS/2 protocol
> except that they've got a wheel (Zoltrix PS/2 mouse).  Now yes the wheel
> WILL act as a third button if ya press it but...
>
> hey - I wonder... how does the Win-blows mouse drivers detect the wheel
> presence?  (or is it a driver thing... I've got '98 and it didn't require
> any drivers to work afaik ....)

Then the mouse is quite likely using the IntelliMouse PS/2 protocol.
Try specifying imps2 as the mouse protocol in
/etc/ggi/input/linux-mouse:
mouse imps2
mdev /dev/psaux

> So is there a way to detect what kinda mouse it is?  (I have -not- played
> with probing the critter directly)

Start with trying the wheel capable protocols that GII supports (imps2,
mmanps2 and ms3) If none of them works we'll simply have to
reverseengineer
the protocol.

> Anyways on the other bit is it tricky to have a mouse that switches
> protocols?  I still feel like coding a Cyberman driver one of these days
> and it starts out in Logitech MouseMan protocol and switches to it's own
> protocol when enabled  (completely incompatible 6dof protocol... itsa 3D
> mouse, eh? :)
> .. it's also a fixed-range device which makes it prime material for
> testing the "absolute position" messages...

Depends on what method it uses to switch protocol. PS/2 devices are
quite simple - just write a sequence of bytes to it, serial mice
might use the status of the serial lines to select protocol.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se