  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 21:23:25 +0000

Re: Pageflip Problem

Thad Phetteplace wrote:

> This is probably a stupid question, but here goes anyway.  I'm having trouble
> getting page flipping to work.  Even the pageflip demo program fails.  I think
> it because there is no /dev/fb* framebuffer on my linux box, thus it is falling
> back to svgalib or somesuch.  I am running kernel 2.0.36.  Do I need to
> upgrade my kernel?  Can I just manually add the device?  Am I forgetting a
> step in the GGI install?  I've been digging through the available on-line docs
> but the (probably obvious) answer is not jumping out at me.  Other than that
> the blit work is going well, when I can find time to work on it that is.

Pageflipping will work if you have a target which can pageflip.
Currently that includes fbdev (with a driver which supports it),
glide, X, dga, and when using supported child targets: palemu,
trueemu and tile.

For info about framebuffer consoles (fbdev) please see
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/ and the Framebuffer-HOWTO.
But in short, yes you need a 2.2 kernel to use framebuffers on ix86.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se