  From: Garrett B <mongoose@wpi.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:27:51 -0500

Direct Buffering was: Re: switching color depth

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, you wrote:
> > when I run the slimy demo I get this
> > > slimy
> > LibGGI: Failed to set mode: [P8/8]
> > Error switching to 8bpp mode.
> >
> > Now Im in X and is there any way to allow X's color depth to be changed? Or
> > would I have to restart the X server at a new color depth each time I want to
> > change it?
>
> Check out the palemu and trueemu targets (I think). Look in
> doc/targets.txt in the libggi distribution. You should find what you need
> there.

  That brings up something else from targets.txt, it says x-lib doesn't support
direct buffering but X does. Whats the difference between the X target and
x-lib target? And if I use Direct Buffering in my program then thats going to
limit the portability of my program.

-Mongoose, WPI student majoring in Computer Science.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,
it's time to pause and reflect."  -Mark Twain