  From: Billy Biggs <vektor@DIV8.NET>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:25:53 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Release request

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Andreas Beck wrote:

> > I'd like to request that the GGI userspace graphics library please be
> > released.
>
> We are checking some minor issues. Maybe we are a bit too perfectionistic,
> but actually where is the problem ?
>
> The Betas are pretty much as good as what others would call a release.
>
> > of GGI last summer and it was working well enough, and now a year later we
> > still don't have a stable release.
>
> It's probably a matter of what one calls stable. I think The LibGGI Betas
> are as stable as what others would call final release with fixpacks 1-5
> applied :-).

Well, the main issue is getting the library installed in all the major
Linux distributions.  I'd also like a reasonable assurance that the API
won't change significantly.  I think I already have that assurance, but an
official one would be nice. :)

For example, friends of mine hesitate to install ggi because there isn't a
stable version.  This prevents me from releasing games.  Ugh.

Yes, this is somehow different from most other linux libraries.  Like,
please release something called, maybe, libggi-2.2 without the word 'beta'
in there, and even if it still is a 'beta' release, more people will
install it.  Version it more like other linux software ?

Mostly though, if I'm going to release a game, I'd like to have a stable
library that users should already have installed.

Thank you for your answers to my other questions,
--
Billy Biggs
bbiggs@div8.net