  From: Jacek Konieczny <jajcus@zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 08:56:29 +0200

Re: GGI and mono displays

On pią, 25 cze 1999, Andrew Apted wrote:

> Jacek Konieczny writes:
>
> >  I have two coputers at home - one with SVGA and one wit Hercules.
> >  The Hercules is very nice even fo X (xevil is cool), but most apps
> >  (games) would like more than 2 color.
> [snip]
> >  Then I tried "trueemu" - it should solve my problems (but probably is
> >  slow), but it crashed with "INTERNAL ERROR".
>
> Truecolor emulation is not supported on 1 bit modes.  It's a pretty
> funny idea, trying to emulate 16 million colours with just 2, yeah ?
But truecolor can be used to emulate anything else.
I whould see it this way:
- calculate brightness of pixel  (a*R+b*G+c*B)
- strip it to reasonable no of bits (example: 4)
- do the dithering

But its probably not what trueemu target does. Maybe I'll try do some "monodither" target or something....

> >  But flying_ggis work with "palemu" target although they shouldn't.
> >  However they are not perfect - it seems dots are drawn only every 4/8
> >  pixels.
>
> Various bits of code which handle 1 bit modes (especially in palemu)
> probably haven't been tested for a long time, and may be broken.  There
> is not much interest in it these days.
>
> One program that should always work is the one simply called `demo'.
> Have you tried that one ?
I was trying programs which were installed from my RPMs. And "demo" is not a thing to package.
But I'll try

> >  I think trueemu should be fixed, as 2-colors targets are those which
> >  need dithering most.
>
> If there were 127 hours in the day (C'mon Andy, we need 'em ! :->),
Yes, I whouldn't mind 127 hours a day neither :-)

> I would merge the palemu and trueemu into one big target that could
> emulate anything on anything (using a dirty-rectangles method for
> reasonable speed), ooh yeah it would support DirectBuffer too.
> Unfortunately I don't have the time to hack on that.
I don't think its really needed. Using trueemu and palemu is simple, and GGI
is supposed to be simple (but also fast...)

Greets,
   Jacek

--
!      ,  !            Jacek Konieczny, Gliwice, Poland            !