  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 23:41:01 +1000

Re: Sure-fire way to detect GGI.

Kien Pham writes:

>  I'm writing a multiplatform library. I would prefer to
>  use GGI first and then any other library last. If GGI is
>  not installed, won't GGIInit() bomb out the entire program
>  rather than return an error code?

Yes, it won't dynamically link.  If you want _runtime_ selection of what
API to use, you're gonna need some kind of *plug-in* system.  That is
possible (CrystalSpace does this), but is something you'll need to think
about a lot (it isn't trivial).  I'd recommend just using _compiletime_
selection of the API.

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <ajapted@netspace.net.au>      \/