  From: Andreas Beck <becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de>
  Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:09:53 +0200

Re: speed question

> use libggi2d. Is it reasonably speedy to store all my bitmaps in a
> memory visual and use ggiBlitTrans to write

BlitTrans ? I don't know much about LibGGI2D, though headers say it hasn't
got such a function.

LibGGI has ggiCrossBlit, which is reasonably speedy, if you have the same
layout in the memory and the main visual.

> them out onto screen? Do I have to init both ggi and ggi2d?

Yes. In the order ggi first, then ggi2d.

In theory ggi2D could do that for you, but according to the source it
doesn't.

> Also, I recently downloaded the current snapshot ( last friday ) and
> installed it. If I set GGI_DISPLAY to fbdev as root and run a ggi
> program while running X everthing works fine. However, if I do the same
> thing as a regular user the program runs, but if I type anything the
> display starts to become corrupted. It's as if the X desktop is bleeding
> through on to the ggi visual.

One shouldn't do that. Use an X window or DGA for it. The reason it works
for root is probably, that it allocates a new console for it.

> It is just a guess but I am running transparent windows under
> enlightenment ( i.e. the xterms show the desktop wallpaper as the
> background ). It could be that enlightenment is writing that texture
> directly to the framebuffer to refresh it and thereby doing bad things.

No. While the X server is running, it assumes it has full control over the
screen unless you are using DGA. Note that you are lucky, as some chipsets
lock up, if two processes hit them at once, as you have to arbitrate direct
vidmem access and accel access on them.

> Lastly I want to say that ggi is way cool, and I put my vote in for a
> ggi sprite engine! :)

Working on it ... :-)

CU, Andy

--