  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 22:12:59 +0200

Re: RFC: Integration of HERMES with LibGGI

Aki M Laukkanen wrote:

> Hello, being bored on sunday afternoon I decided to try to integrate
> HERMES to LibGGI. HERMES is a pixel format conversion library and
> you can find more about it at:
>
> http://hermes.terminal.at/
>
> The following patch replaces the default ggiCrossBlit() implementation
> when it thinks that the conversion could be done with HERMES. This is
> the very first working version and I've only tested the conversion from
> 8bit memory target to 24bit X target. I did some benchmarks but forgot
> to save the results from the LibGGI only implementation so I can't give
> you exact results. There was some speed gain as expected since the
> HERMES routines are in optimized assembly. Comments?

Well first of all - thanks! I've been thinking of hermes, but haven't
had any time to look at that. Now the comments.

Putting the hook in ggi/stubs.c is wrong, because it will override
accelerated crossblits.

I'd like to see some benchmarks before putting the code in, and also
timings of the ggiSetPalette() overhead. In any case the current
_ggi_set_hermes_palette() implementation is unacceptable because
it will crawl for apps which set one color at a time.

Also, how big is the compiled hermes library, and where can I find
the source?

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se