  From: Christoph Egger <Christoph_Egger@t-online.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 19:49:01 +0200 (MEST)

Re: libgii - mysterious mouse implementation

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Andrew Apted wrote:

> Christoph Egger writes:
>
> >  I tried to hack in libgii the third mouse button recognization of a serial
> >  mouse using the microsoft-protocol.
>
> If I remember correctly, the third mouse button in ms protocol is a hack
> (something like both buttons appear to be pressed at the same time, and
> dx=dy=0 -- read the gpm sources for more info).  At the time, I deemed
> it too unreliable to be worth supporting.

Well, I have a multi-protocol three button mouse. The standard protocol is
the microsoft protocol. The other is mouse systems. To switch the protocol
to mouse systems I must press the left mouse button every time I boot up
my computer. That's ... *GRRR* ... not so good... so I want to use the
middle mouse button with the microsoft protocol!

> >  But here I detected a mysterious
> >  thing: When I apply the following patch the inputdump demo recognize the
> >  middle mouse button as both left and right mouse button...
> [SNIP]
> >  When I apply the following patch instead, inputdump recognizes the middle
> >  mouse button as expected...
> [SNIP]
> >  Can anyone explain this?
>
> Yes: the `buttons' variable is an internal variable which is a _bitmask_
> of the buttons.  The GII_BUTTON thingies are button _numbers_ (1, 2, 3,
> 4, ...).
>
> "Mystery" solved :-)

Thanks!

Cheers,