  From: Andreas Beck <becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 19:32:05 +0200

Re: Sucking the marrow out of hardware (Re: libGGI on matroxfb with Mystique)

> > > This means: Can I do the following steps with every target?
> > > 1. Create a visual with virtual height greater than visible height.
> > No. Some targets cannot do that. All video cards, when they are out of RAM.
> Which targets?

fbdev, SVGAlib, whatever ... as long as it maps to a physical device this
device can run out of RAM.

> > > 2. ggiPutBox into the resulting "dead" area.
> > > 3. ggiCopyBox from them.
> I meant, that the putbox is only done once. copybox often.

Ah. BOBs.

> Short: I want to make ClanLib as fast as possible, therefore I want to use
> ggiCopyBox for vid to vid mem. I just have to care about targets where this
> is not supported. (the "from" area must not be visible, but in video memory)
> For example Xlib target, how to use the fast XCopyArea call through ggi?

The idea would be to just do it with ggiCopyBox. Don't know, if this is
implemented, though.

We will work on that sprite/bob stuff ASAP, as it starts to bother many
people.

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =