  From: Kien Pham <xengren@yahoo.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 20:55:59 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Sure-fire way to detect GGI.

--- Andreas Beck <becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> > What's a sure-fire way to detect that GGI is installed
> and
> > functional on a system?
>
> That's a tricky question actually. You need to at least
> check
> for LibGII and LibGGI being installed in the dynamic
> linker
> search path and being of the minimum version your program
> wants.
>
> If you want to compile stuff, you should as well check
> for the
> headers.
>
> To find mis-installs, checking if the libggi.conf matches
> the
> actual place of the render libs might be a good idea.
>
> What IMHO can't be tested in a nice way, is that someone
> set up
> a working combination of graphics drivers on which to
> run.
>
> You could basically try to detect a few of the systems
> that
> are always active (like fbcon, or maybe X, if the user
> installs
> from there) and consider them working, if you find them
> and the
> lib install is o.k.
> At least for SVGAlib, I don't think one can safely say
> that it works,
> except by launching the program or a stub of it and
> asking the user if
> he saw it work right.
Woops my fault. I meant to check during runtime from a
binary. Couldn't GGI installation procedure put a
drivers.lst or something like that in the ggi directory in
the include dirs. (Bad hack, I know.) Someone with a more
eloquent way should jump right up and tell me. :)
> > Also, was the issue of the ability to detect a cursor
> ever resolved?
A long time ago I asked whether or not I could check for a
cursor during runtime in GGI. I need to know whether I need
to render it myself(svgalib target) or if I can use a
pre-existing one (X11 target).