  From: Brian S. Julin <bri@tull.umassp.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 17:09:20 -0400 (EDT)

At the risk of being preachy

I just got done finishing my backlog of e-mail from various
lists, and since I bothered to actually read some threads which
I wasn't really interested, I couldn't help but notice from this
detached perspective that while (for the most part) people are
very polite, in quite a number of the exchanges people were
missing each other's points because they were underestimating
the person they were talking to.  Maybe it's just the language
barrier, being the diversity on every list I am subscribed to
has increased so much over the past year or so, but I think we
could do all afford a little more pondering before answering
questions or arguments as to what the other person meant
before jumping to the conclusion that they "do not understand"
some basic concept because often they do, just their point is
stated a little bit obscurely or in the wrong terms.  Yes we
have a lot of newbies here now, but even a good portion of the
newbies are fairly literate in the subject matter.

I don't know why I bothered to post this comment, especially to
this, one of the better lists, but it just struck me as a trend
that we would be better off without.

--
Brian