  From: Christoph Egger <Christoph_Egger@t-online.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:20:55 +0200 (MEST)

Re: hacking methods to find out bugs

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Andrew Apted wrote:

> Christoph Egger writes:
>
> >  Which hacking methods are known to find the bugs?
>
> strace can be handy.
>
> Or run in X and use gdb (hacking libgg so that it doesn't catch SIGSEGV
> and prevent a core dump).

With "hacking a lib so that it doesn't catch SIGSEGV" you mean I should
fix the bug to find the bug?

What is a core dump? Can you explain this? How can I use this?

> "weird" bugs are _always_ the worst. Stack corruption is one that is
> very nasty -- I once debugged a stack corruption problem, detecting it
> by setting a local variable of some procedure (higher than the buggy
> one) to a known value and checking it at various places.

hmm... and how are you fixed this stack corruption problem?

> Another weird thing that can happen is when a structure contains an
> #ifdef..#endif, and two piece of code (e.g. client & library) get the
> different versions (because of different compiling flags).  Lost some
> hair from that one, let me tell ya ;-).

The new system of the headers is the same as libggi does:

The structs are internally defined and access-able and externally
access-able as  void *.

Cheers,

Christoph Egger
E-Mail: Christoph_Egger@t-online.de