  From: Andreas Beck <becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 01:45:45 +0200

Re: Display Target Problem

> > 	Have you rebuilt and reinstalled LibGGI?

> Yes.  This is a totally new RedHat 6.0 installation.  I downloaded the
> latest GGI snapshot and recompiled and reinstalled the entire beast.  There
> is no older install that could be conflicting with it.

Does Xlib compile ? If so, X should as well. Check ./configure output, if
something went wrong there.

> > 1. Build and install a kernel with framebuffer devices.
> > 2. Either use one of the video drivers that comes with the kernel or build
> > a KGIcon driver for your card if one is available.
> > 3. Build and install the fbset tool whick is in degas/kgicon/util/fbset,
> > which will also create the /dev/fb[n] device nodes.

> This is basically the process I was expecting.  The stock kernel DOES
> appear to have framebuffer support compiled in,

That doesn't make sense. They can at most compile in _one_ driver usually,
so a stock driver with complet FB support seems not too likely.

> and the /dev/fb0 etc devide nodes DO exist...
> but I'll try recompiling the kernel just to be certain.  I am also willing
> to try compiling a KGIcon driver... does
> one exist for the STB Velocity 128?

What chipset does that card feature ? Riva 128 ? In that case the riva
driver might work. Don't know how good it is, though.

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =