  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 12:22:37 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Display Target Problem

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Thad Phetteplace wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Well, I've finally found the time to upgrade my Linux system to the 2.2.5
> kernel.  Unfortunately, I am now having problems with the latest GGI
> snapshot.  The X display target seems to have disappeared.  There is no
> /usr/local/lib/ggi/display/X.so, nor can I figure out how to recreate
> the beast.

	Have you rebuilt and reinstalled LibGGI?

> Also, I would like to take advantage of the new framebuffer support in
> the 2.2 kernel, but running in console mode spits out the error message
> "Couldn't open framebuffer device /dev/fb/0: Not a directory".  What
> steps must I take so fbdev is used?

1. Build and install a kernel with framebuffer devices.

2. Either use one of the video drivers that comes with the kernel or build
a KGIcon driver for your card if one is available.

3. Build and install the fbset tool whick is in degas/kgicon/util/fbset,
which will also create the /dev/fb[n] device nodes.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed