  From: Brian S. Julin <bri@tull.umassp.edu>
  To  : Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu>
  Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 02:37:43 -0400 (EDT)

Re: 2nd prerelease: EXTENSION HOWTO and EHelper

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> 	This way, the generic-stubs and generic-linear-* libraries will not
> even be looked at unless the display-x-foobar returns without having
> successfuly created a valid target-specific rendering setup, which is as it
> should be.  But it requires a bit more intelligence in the sublibs themselves
> to properly manage the sublibs underneath themselves.  If at any level it is
> possible for a loaded sublib to partially implement the interface of the
> level above it, this must be explicitly accounted for or everything will get
> thrown away when the sublib does not implement the _whole_ interface.

We'll have to wait for Marcus to get back and tell us whether he considers
libGG to be doing things as it should or whether it's due for improvement.
Seems to me to be a waste to not have the more common of these
situations handled automatically by libGG via the configuration file
and instead have everyone getting elbow deep in the loading mechanism
to make their extensions work.

Anyway I'll make sure the HOWTO is adjusted for the state of the
current implementation before release.

--
Brian