  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:37:48 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Regarding GGI and Xfree 4.0

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Johan Karlberg wrote:

> I spotted this in an ongoing conversation on the xfree lists. I have
> myself no memory of this even, or does my memory fail me?

	Hard to say - you left off the name of the quoted post's author.
And of course, this being the XFree86 project, there is no way for the
general public to access the list archives....

> >   I gave the GGI folks a personal invitation to join XFree86
> >to work on a GGI driver for XFree86 4.0.  They declined.

	I'm sure that people other than myself have talked to XFree86
project members, but at the LinuxWorld Conference back in March I spoke
with Dirk Hohndel (the head of the whole XFree86 project, IIRC) and I
specifically remember telling him that the modular architecture of XFree86
4.0 would make it easy to write a LibGGI target for XFree86 4.0, and that
we were looking into this very thing as it would probably produce a much
better X-on-GGI solution than XGGI.

	Also, as a search of the nice, publically-acessible GGI mailing
list archives over the past six months or show will show, Marcus Sundberg
(the current XGGI maintainer) has clearly stated several times that he
wants to move away from XGGI to XFree86 4.0 with a LibGGI driver library.
Andy (the GGI project leader) has also stated his support for this.  Given
this, I am cetainly wondering where the original poster got his or her
(mis)information.  I would like to clear this mininformation up as quickly
(and as publically) as possible.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'