  From: Steffen Seeger <s.seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:36:34 +0200 (CEST)

Re: KGI(CON) XFree 4.0 Wrapper

> On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
>
> > After a first look XFree modules doesn't exactly seem suitable for a
> > kernel module. They are up to 170k in size (and will most certainly
> > grow as more functionality is added), and require >150 external
> > functions
> > to be implemented in the wrapper.
>
> missed some good work on other drivers). My main thought (though maybe not
> well-explained in my first mail on this topic) was to write a wrapper,
> take the sourcecode of the X-drivers and strip this, and release that as
> the KGICON drivers. I know it will be big, but fast video costs memory
> space. (I'm not saying Win98 is good, but take a look at the amount of
> memory Win98 video drivers + DirectX 6 take....)
>
> Jos

Please be aware that the XFree86 driver architecture _relies_ on userspace
implementation, as it uses floating point arithmetics for important parts
(e.g. timing calculations). Thus you must not use these as in-kernel drivers.

			Steffen

----------------- e-mail: seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de -----------------