  From: Andreas Beck <becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:44:46 +0200

Re: KGI(CON) XFree 4.0 Wrapper

> > > Just downloaded the first snapshot of XFree 4.0. I'm working on a KGI
> > > wrapper for it. Why ? This way we get full accelleration for free, nice if
> > essentially useless to serve as a KGI-style driver). If that is possible
> > now, I'll gladly try to assist you.
> > Ask me, if you need any advice. How do you plan to use the drivers ? Like
> > the suidkgi target ? Or using a XF->KGI wrapper ?

> After a first look XFree modules doesn't exactly seem suitable for a
> kernel module. They are up to 170k in size (and will most certainly
> grow as more functionality is added), and require >150 external
> functions to be implemented in the wrapper.

Grr. Well. If everything is in the modules now, maybe we can show off a
little by doing the other way round and provide an XFree wrapper for the KGI
drivers. I'd like to have an XFree server running on my PM2 KGI driver :-).
Maybe one day they'll find what KGI is all about ... :-).

And regarding the original post: O.K. - suidkgi style should be able to cope
with that problem. Not exactly what I call elegant, but ...

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =