  From: Dominique ROUSSEAU <rousseau@neuronnexion.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:30:42 +0200

Re: Anybody with IR input for libgii ??

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 10:10:59PM +0000, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
> Dominique ROUSSEAU wrote:
> >
> > There doesn't seem to be nything about using IR input (through lirc) with ggi/gii on the ggi site.
> > Did anybody look at it ?
>
> Not afaik.
>
> > If not, I plan on doing an input module for lirc managed ir input devices.
> > Given that IR keypads are very similar to keyboards, I think, it should
> > send kesyms similar to keyboards, but there are a few specificities
> > (like mute, power...) how do I assign new keysyms ? I just pick new
> > ones randomly ?
>
> If the keyboard has keys not covered by ggi/keyboard.h, please post
> all the information you have on the key (it's location on the keyboard,
> all text written on it, whether it has any LED(s) associated with it,
> what it's function/purpose is (if known) and whether it should be
> considered a modifier or a normal key) and we will add it to the API.

I'm thinking about IR devices like a remote control rather than cordless keyboards (for which I don't think there is much to do, it should be done through the keyboard controller, no ??)

> > If anybody has knowledge about making libggii input drivers and/or want to help, I welcome everything :o)
>
> I don't know anything about IR devices, but I'll be happy to answer
> any questions you may have about LibGII.

The documentation about hacking gii drivers is a bit sparse (even the user doc is sparse on this subject :o)

I don't exactly see what the event masks do, and how to send events to the upper layers. The linux_kbd driver is a bit too complete and I have difficulties finding what is initialisation and what is for interfacing...
If you can make some light on how to write agii input driver, I would be glad :o)

Dom

--
Dominique Rousseau <d.rousseau@nnx.com>
Neuronnexion - http://www.neuronnexion.com