  From: Brian Julin <bri@forcade.calyx.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 20:32:21 -0400 (EDT)

Re: a FAQ... been away for a while...

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Andrew Apted wrote:

> But "normal multihead" of one person using two videocards/monitors is
> supported by fbcon (albeit not perfectly yet).  Very handy, since I am
> using my MDA monitor to insmod/rmmod the kgicon module and not have to
> reboot when it trashes the VGA screen (which rmmod always does right
> now :-().

If you add the following function to fbcon-kgi and call it from
cleanup_module() you can get your textmode back:

/* This and _init dont use fbcon standard prototypes!! FIXME */
void kgifb_deinit(void) {

        kgim_reset(&kgifb_display);
        kgim_accel_done(&kgifb_display);
        kgim_clock_done(&kgifb_display);
        kgim_ramdac_done(&kgifb_display);
        kgim_monitor_done(&kgifb_display);
        kgim_chipset_done(&kgifb_display);

}

But that still leaves one problem: Fonts.  The vga mode corrupts
the font tables.  We need vgafb/vesafb to support font loading
if they don't already, and util/ should have a fbcon style setfont
and an rmmod script.

--
Brian S. Julin