  From: teunis <teunis@computersupportcentre.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 13:50:49 -0700 (MST)

Re: kgicon, etc

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Emmanuel Marty wrote:

> Hi Teunis !
>
> > > This said, I'd love to hear from Stefan Mars, Jim Ursetto, Teunis Peters,
> > > Matthias Grimrath .. :) Now that KGI drivers have high odds to fold into
> > > the kernel, that'd be a good time to work on them uh ;)
> >
> > Still alive, just resurrected both hd (replaced with two smaller ones
> > *sigh*) and email (the server fubared).  Now if I can get more than 15-20
> > minutes in a day for programming I'll get going on S3 Accels again :)
> >

> I know the feeling.. Glad to know that you are doing well though :) How's
> this debugger of yours coming.. I'd be interested to see how it looks like :)

*heh* - Just finishing off the error management *giggle*.  It's a very
weird system.....  and (if I figure out the source to this new
precompiler) will be self-compiling over GCC....  and distributed as well
so the interface can be run on a different machine while munging with
display code :)

there's this public Objective-C compiler I'm adapting to the system...  I
played with C++ a wee bit (for objects) and discovered it is FUBAR in a
dynamic object environment (one that can load objects on-the-fly).  I
wonder why people use it?  Objective C on the other hand works quite
nicely and doesn't sacrifice any efficiency except where expected (message
redirection et al)...  I'm still looking at good scheme/lisp
interpretations for scripting - am prolly going to adapt Abuse for this
thing :)

And before anyone freaks out about such a freak of programming:
	1. Complexity doesn't matter if it does the job nicely.
	2. It's a debugging tool for graphics devel.  If it doesn't have
	   a kitchen sink (ref: 3D-accel section :) it's incomplete...
		[sink still being built]
	-  I don't expect anyone else to use it or like it.  It's my toy :)
	   [on the flip side as soon as I get an operational version up
	    I'll post it so others can make fun of my programming :]
	- It's relatively system-independant so I'll give a shot to
	   getting it working under win95+ as soon as I get a GCC working
	   there...  so the code-mess can be excused? :) :) :)
	   [it's bigger/etc than MFC but I'm guessing a lot clearer :]
And finally (and most importantly)
	!  It's my time and I can waste it if I want to :)
	[I'm not getting paid or anything else while I'm building it so I
	 don't care!  And it's not taken (much) time out of messing with
	 GGI issues as I've been ... waiting patiently <G> ... for a
	 working EvStack (GGI Console) system since last August...]
	: Every time EvStack(..) starts getting stable someone rewrites
	  it again and I -need- the event-mechanisms and input device
	  management for this toy...

> > Incidentally - a question prolly everyone has (who's missed what's going
> > on) is : Does -anything- work right now?  (and what?)
>
> 1) libggi and extensions work.

Oh!  (good).

> 2) libggi2D i don't know (Thomas, what's the status ?)
>
> 3) kgicon works, and drivers are being adapted (a very small change) to it -
> it allows for console graphics using all our drivers on a native kernel. it
> misses accel and console multihead at the moment, but it shouldn't be
> much work.

Let me guess - this is trad. KGI-drivers?  Pity...  ah well, time to
attack the S3 ViRGE accels & stuff again :)

> 4) steffen's KGI spec is ready and solid, and I of course _still_ want a
> native KGI. we will probably not get it into the kernel if we rewrite the
> console bits from roof to top, be them superior or so, but I still want it.

Agreed :)

> > I've been avoiding kernel upgrades, GGI upgrades, .... until I find out!
> > (last I heard nothing works)
>
> 2.1.111 (haven't tried 112 yet) works well here with fbcon/kgicon,
> and even now my scsi board, woo hoo.

Okay.  Dl'ing now.....  (I run on IDE *grr* system these days and miss
having SCSI HD's but my Adaptec 2940UW is still needed so I'm glad it
works....)

> G'day, eh? :-) (heh, I missed that :)

Thanks :)

G'day, eh? ;)