  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 13:07:21 +1000

Re: I've seen the stars too... [Re: kgicon, etc]

Martin Eli Erhardsen writes:

>  How is it possible to write a scroller which is so slow.
>  Does it copy the whole screen in the framebuffer every time.

Yes, and apparently _reading_ the framebuffer is a lot slower than
writing it.  Once we change to the smart scrolling, it should be a lot
faster.

>  Most hardware supports setting the start adress of the display, which
>  really

Yep, that's YPAN and will be easy to add.

>  would speed up the scrolling. The VGA splitline helps too, but you can

Splitline is no good.  I've tried it, but what happens is that when you
_move_ the splitline (e.g. up 8 lines), you often miss the VGA's line
counter.  It is an exact comparison, so no ywrap occurs for that frame,
resulting in a flash of garbage on the screen.  Real ugly.

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/