  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:54:25 -0700 (PDT)

Re: I've seen the stars too... [Re: kgicon, etc]

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Andrew Apted wrote:

> Rodolphe writes:
>
> >  If the multi-headed system is too complicated or does not work, maybe we
> >  can simplify this thing, by forcing the _user_ to choose the "default"
> >  vga card of its system.
>
> Depending on the license issue, you could compile the kgicon driver into
> the kernel and have it used from boot.  This is how I'd like it to be on
> my system (once all the bugs are ironed out :).

	I had this working a while back - working in the sense that
fbcon-kgi.o linked into the kernel without any errors, fbmem.c knew about
kgicon, and the drivers/video makefile system knew about fbcon-kgi.c and
had a config entry to select it (although the KGI and Linux makefile
systems were not joined, you had to "make config" in kgi/ before it would
work).  None of the changes were very difficult or very large.

	So I did get a working kernel compile, but all I ever got was
black screens and lockups on bootup.  This was back in 2.1.107 when fbcon
still had a lot of serious problems, so I shelved this effort to
concentrate on other things and just used modules.  Maybe it would work
now.  This dovetails with the need to link the Linux and KGI config
systems, which I don't know how to do.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'