  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 15:19:23 +1000

Removing SYNC mode

Hi folks,

I'd like to propose that we remove SYNC and ASYNC modes/flags from
LibGGI, with the following justification :

SYNC mode means "the drawing operation is guaranteed to be visible
within a reasonable time".  The only LibGGI targets that natively have
this behaviour is those which draw directly to the hardware (KGI, fbdev,
svgalib, XDGA afaik).  All other targets must emulate it, and this is a
royal PITA.

My idea is that when DirectBuffer is available, it implies SYNC mode.
When it is not available, it implies ASYNC mode.  Old DOS programs will
expect a DirectBuffer, so doing (quick) ports won't be any harder.

Comments ?

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/