  From: Rodolphe Ortalo <ortalo@laas.fr>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 18:07:05 +0200

Re: I've seen the stars too... [Re: kgicon, etc]

>Write a proper console driver that doesn't claim these ports.
> [...]
>You know, my opinion about the console code can't be printed, can not
>even be said in front of an audience. To say the least, it's a mess.

I don't know the current console code of linux. I only know the one
of KGI. ;-)) So I cannot say...

Do you mean it is possible to write cleanly a multi-headed, multiple
inputs capable console system without EvStacks ? ;-)))
Maybe then we don't need EvStacks in fact then ?
BTW: I'm wondering, couldn't it be that earth is flat also... ?

>The KGI i386 boot display driver code doesn't use more than
>a plain frame buffer. And it is shut up when a real driver loads.
>That's why I am skeptical about the kgicon approach, but hey,
>I am willing to learn.

The only interest I find in kgicon is that fact that it allows me to
use a standard kernel to develop my KGI drivers NOW (because, aheemmm,
currently it is difficult to develop with a KGI patch inside...).
I know I should be working on libgwt instead of playing with my graphic
card, but well, you know...

The other interest is that it will allow us to distribute our code
without requiring users to patch their kernel (a thing that seems
to be associated with a sacrilege).

But well, with a fully operational KGI kernel, I guess we will someday
do the opposite: a /dev/fb emulation layer for KGI.
 Is there anyone working on that ?

Rodolphe