  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 12:38:47 +1000

Re: Removing SYNC mode

MenTaLguY writes:

>  > SYNC mode means "the drawing operation is guaranteed to be visible
>  > within a reasonable time".
>
>  Doesn't it mean, rather, that the drawing operation is guaranteed to be
>  visible by the time the appropriate function returns?

No -- unfortunately.

>  If we take out SYNC and ASYNC modes, we'd damn well better do so in favor
>  pure ASYNC behavior, which happens to be fast everywhere. :)

Yes, I'm basically saying we should get rid of SYNC mode and make ASYNC
mode the norm, except that when DirectBuffer is available it would
guarantee the SYNC semantics of "the drawing op shall be visible within
a reasonable time".  This is true of accel: once you start an accel it
will finish "within a reasonable time".

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/