  From: James A Simmons <jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop <ggi-develop@eskimo.com>
  Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 19:54:10 -0400 (EDT)

KGI backbone.

Hello. Who knows about tga and sun buffers well. Using seeger new design I
have been trying to merge vgacon.c and dpy-i386.c. Here is my suggestion.
Right now the kernels console system is a mess. In console.h we have
consw and in console_struct.h we have vc_data which describes data about
each virtual console. Then we have vt*.h stuff. Yuk! With KGI all we need
is kgi.h which does all this. Before we start porting all the kgicon
drivers to this new system we should first rework promcon.c and vgacon.c
etc to work with kgi. We would not rewrite console.c but change the consw
interface to the kgi_display interface. If fbcon and the console system
were layered on KGI could have a definite footing into the kernel. You can
live without fb but you can't live without the console system. Why have
all the hardware code in kgicon but not use this same code for the general
console system. What a waste.