  From: Rodolphe Ortalo <ortalo@laas.fr>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 00:07:55 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: kgicon, etc [I don't have any scsi device!]

Hello,

I'm glad I generated some programming enthousiasm with the kgicon target.
Personnally, I've a few criticisms concerning the hmm... approach. [1]

Would it be possible to have the "make install" kgicon target test and
possibly build the /dev/fbX and /dev/fbXcurrent device files and special
symlink. Just to save a few minutes for the unaware... :-)
(Hint: Major 29, minor 0 for /dev/fb0 and 32 for /dev/fb1. The con2fbmap
program relies on /dev/fb0current -> /dev/fb0)

I'd like also the "insert" script to call ../util/con2fbmap if possible,
for the ones not having a "." in their root PATH (possibly due to a
PhD in computer security, or maybe even to a debian distribution :-)).

Concerning the dali driver adaptation, I have one question. Initially,
my kgicon.o module refused stubbornly to insmod due to the fact that
he could not "io_claim_region" its vga_io region
(see chipset/Cirrus/546x.c).
I insisted and wildly #if 0 the region claim (even though I perfectly
knew that my wise driver was perfectly right in not wanting to use
things that he did not own). It seems that the kgicon driver was able
to run like that. Do you think I broke something due to this quick hack ?
What is the right thing to do wrt that ?

Finally, I'm happy. I got something on the screen out of my 546x driver!!
:-)))
It was even readable. But, well, not easily. I got a graphical console
I think (it seems a little different from the usual one, and very slow).
But the start of each scanline was nearly in the middle of the screen.
                                       Therefore I had something like
that on the screen...
I never had a problem setting a 640x400 graphic mode previously with
the dali kgi. So: is there a problem with the mode timings requested by
fb-kgi.c ? Is this due to my hack with the VGA IO regions ?
[Hmm, while re-reading: I use a VESA driver for the monitor: is it the
origin of the problem... I'm gonna check.]

Finally, I tried con2fbmap 1 0 to go back to the normal VGA, but this
failed miserably. Is it the right command ?

Thank you in advance for any help.

And... thank you very much for helping me in having something out
of my Laguna chipset right out to the screen so fast. (Hmmm, I hope
Emmanuel won't go so fast with the MediaGX. I don't have any users,
I can afford to play, but _he_ has to beat Alan Cox and implement
acceleration faster than him.) :-))))

Bye (and good night).

Rodolphe

[1] I don't have the time to do the corrections myself... Someone wants
to sleep here (female).