  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 23:16:26 +1000

Re: kgicon, etc

Rodolphe writes:

>  I'd like to know what I have to do to see some graphics ? (Please
>  everyone: try to be careful when moving someone else files... :-)
>
>  My guess: get a kernel with the fb-thingy (which version?)

That latest & greatest I suppose (2.1.111), although I'm using the vger
cvs kernel.  I can send you the info on getting the cvs kernel if you
like.

Configure the kernel with framebuffer support (you also need the
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL set -- it's the "prompt for incomplete drivers"
thing).  And enable VGAFB but not VGACON in the "console" menu.

>            {patch,symlink} it (how ? I mean: which make thingy)

No need, just make the kgicon.o modules and insmod it.

>            insert the module (probably as usual)
>            twickle the fb-thingy to change the res (how?)

Resolution is fixed right now (hardcoded into fbcon-kgi.c -- change if
you know you're hardware won't support it).

Before you insmod the driver, compile con2fbmap in the kgicon/util
directory.  This transfers consoles from one framebuffer to another.
You need to enter:

    con2fbmap 0 1

after insmod (typing blind since the kgi driver initializes the screen).
The 0 means "all consoles", the 1 is the framebuffer number (KGI).
Doing a "cat /proc/fb" will show the framebuffers, something like:

   0 VGA+
   1 KGI

That should give you a graphical console.  Next you could try the fbdev
LibGGI target.  After compiling it, type

    export FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1

which LibGGI will recognize and will use display-fbdev automatically.
Then try some of the demos...

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/