  From: Steffen Seeger <seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 23:24:11 +0200 (MEST)

Re: kgicon, etc

> On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Emmanuel Marty wrote:
> > Well, it is summer, so half of the core developers are away in v
> > This said, I'd love to hear from Stefan Mars, Jim Ursetto, Teunis Peters,
> > Matthias Grimrath .. :) Now that KGI drivers have high odds to fold into
> > the kernel, that'd be a good time to work on them uh ;)
>
>  Do you mean that we are now ALLOWED to port our dali drivers to
> degas ?? I mean: I asked for that two or three times and was always
> told to wait... So ? There is difference between kgicon (ie: kgi
> on fbdev) and degas or... is there a graphics driver guide that I
> did not see ?
>
> Rodolphe, still wanting to have its 546x onscreen.

The driver model is still under Dali, and if I got it right, the
kgicon code assumes a dali driver, but just adds another system layer.
At least that was what it should do, doesn't it?

The Dali->Degas transition will start when we have a operational
'native' KGI system again, with the new /dev/graphics code.
I am currently adding backward compatibility, so that it doesn't break
the XFree servers as long as no driver is loaded.

Meanwhile you can port your drivers to whatever you like :-), but the
big change for the drivers is still coming.

			Steffen

----------------- e-mail: seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de -----------------