  From: teunis <teunis@computersupportcentre.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 16:11:40 -0700 (MST)

Re: required libs

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, MenTaLguY wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Jan Kneschke wrote:
>
> > i'm in the autoconf/automake stuff, so i just wanna ask which libraries are
> > required and which are recommened. (required/recommend reminds me of the old
> > slackware days :)
> >
> > now its selecting time:
> >
> > your choice   | lib 	      | my guess

[clip]
> > 		(dl) required
>
> Only required if dynamic linking is enabled -- man, we need to figure out
> how we want to deal with static systems like DOS; I don't think we've
> actually got a specific setup planned for that yet, do we?  Also, note that
> it is dld instead of dl on some systems (i.e. HP-UX).  I believe there is an
> autoconf/automake macro for testing for each.  The required dl version is
> often dependent on the version of libc availible, at least as far as major
> versions go, I think.

I've got an implementation of a dynamic-loader that uses static ELF files
(think kernel modules with some extra tricks such as
constructor/deconstructor support [and other C++/Objective-C stuff] :)

If someone could be so nice as to point out where I can get enough tools
to run Gnu C++ under Windows 98, I'd be quite willing to port it over to
DOS (or Windows - though IMHO NT-style DLL's are more efficient than ELF
.so's....  just have a few weaknesses [such as higher RAM usage])

TIA and G'day, eh? :)
	- Teunis

PS: What'd I miss?  I've been fighting to get email working for a few
weeks now and have missed -lots-!