  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 17:26:03 +1000

Re: Frames...

Alexander Larsson writes:

>  > Here's what could be done :
>  >
>  >     1. Add the following to ggi_info:
>  >
>  >           ggi_directbuffer *read_db;
>  >           ggi_directbuffer *write_db;
>  >
>  > [ more stuff snipped]
>
>  I started out on this today, because i think that the double-buffer
>  situation in libggi today is fundamentally broken, but i feel i might
>  be in over my head. I think someone with a more knowledge about
>  libggi did this, because it need some really major changes to the
>  internals of libggi.

You're right, it is a huge change to the libggi internals, which is why
I haven't attempted it either.

>  As things work currently the target fills out the ggi_info_fb structure with
>  some info, like a pointer to the linear fb. Then the linear-xx stubs takes
>  this info and creates ONE directbuffer structure. This has to be changed so
>  that all targets parse the frames field of the mode and create as many
>  directbuffers as they need and fill them out.

I can see what you mean.  This really needs a major re-think IMO.  The
ggi_info_fb structure is meant to be phased out in favour of using the
DirectBuffer stuff, but it hasn't really been discussed.

I'd say leave it for now.  There is only a couple days left until the
next feature-freeze (on the 24th).  And nearly everyone who knows the
libggi internals are either on vacation or very busy right now...

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/