  From: Ben Reed <ranger@ironweb.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 01:57:17 GMT

Re: trying kgicon

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:56:57 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>> Well, its getting closer. I now have a working console under 2.1.109 (ac2).
>> But it won't work in 80x50, just 80x43.
>>
>> Now I'm heading for kgicon. I run "make config" in the kgi directory after
>> having done the symlink for /usr/src/linux/include/kgi. I get the usual kgi
>> configure stuff, but i can hardly select anything because there seems to be a
>> lot of .configure's missing.

I'm at about the same place...

>	Yeah, sorry about that.  All those hidden files and directories
>played hell with my attempts to get the stuff into CVS.  Most of the
>.configure stuff should be the same as the Dali equivalents, just toss 'em

Haha... actually, after chmod'ing 777 (yeah, yeah... I know) the
entire directory and subdirectories, I can do a make vga EXCEPT for
the accel .o  ;)

I know this isn't the real way to do it, but I know that the code
itself appears to be mostly right anyways... :)

>back in and commit to CVS (after verifying that it works, of course).
>Note that the accel subsection, which used to be "graphic", does have some
>.configure changes to reflect this overall name change.  Look at the
>generic accel files to see what needs to change - it should be
>straightforward.  Basically:

My problem is, I've *never* used ggi before now, I don't know what the
"usual" stuff is.  To tell the truth, I wasn't all that interested in
it until I ran into the Berlin stuff.  Is there any possibility of
commiting a working ggi setup with everything fixed to the Berlin CVS
server?  I get the feeling I just don't know what to look for...  but
then, maybe your suggestions below will be the final piece of the
puzzle.

>* The functions kgim_graphic_* have changed to kgim_accel_*
>
>* The -E(GRAPHIC, *) changes to -E (ACCEL, *)
>
>* In the .configure files, the /tmp/graph* changes to /tmp/accel*.  There
>are also graph _. accel changes in the wording of the menus in those
>.configure files, but that is cosmetic.
>
>	Just doing a make should show you right where the problems in the
>source code are.

If I can get all of this working, do you mind if I submit the working
ggi tree to the Berlin CVS?  Also, out of curiosity, this *is*
supposed to be the ggi-devel tree, not the -stable one, right?  I
don't remember noticing kgicon in the stable tree.  :)

If I am to submit it (assuming I can get it working), do I need
something other than anonymous access to commit?

-- Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger@ironweb.com)
   http://www.ironweb.com/~ranger/

"I used to pick up the morning paper and giggle my way through
breakfast. Now I get either so angry or so scared that I have to
wait until after I eat to read it." -- Tom Lehrer, on politics