  From: Alex Roberts <bse@dial.pipex.com>
  To  : Hartmut Niemann <niemann@cip.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
  Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 18:36:50 +0000 (GMT)

Re: ggi and kernels

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Hartmut Niemann wrote:

> Hello Alex,
> welcome aboard!
>
> For one thing you can start using the GGI library without any kernel
> patching, if you want to use the X target. Then your ggi applications
> run in an X window. It works very well :-)
Hmm, i tried to compile it last night (libggi, with X support only, no
threads, etc), but could only get the 'dots' program to work (once),
everything else segfaulted out (could the factor that i'm using libc5.4.44
be involved at all?)!

> And for the 'real thing', kernel-supported graphics, I would recommend
> you to wait for 2.1.112 or so... At the moment things are changig too
> rapidly. (For ne, at least.)
>
> Hartmut.
>
> Out of curiosity: what graphics board do you have? What do you want to
> do in/with GGI?
Well, i've got a S3 Virge(Model 375)..
Aiming to do a multiple platform game, hopefully in 3D, and as I've
found SVGAlib to be too cumbersome and generally complicated to use, I
thought GGI would be cool to use ;) Also with the fact (or so I've
read), a single binary executable can be run in Console and in X11 I
thought was really cool...

I'm thinking, a port of GGI to DOS would a good idea, so any graphical
apps made with it can be run in DOS (as well as Linux Console, and X11
window)... Heh,just something to throw around in the list ;)

> > Hello,
> > As a relative new comer to GGI (i got the stable sources from cvs last
> > night), I am wondering, which kernel does GGI (or is that KGI) acceptable
> > with? and do i _need_ to patch up a kernel to use GGI?
> >
> > Just asking because I'm using the 2.0.35 kernel now, but i have got the
> > 2.1.109 devel kernel via patches from 2.1.103...
> > | Alex Roberts      |  |__][__ |___    \ |
>
> --
> Hartmut Niemann   --   niemann(a)cip.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de
> http://cip2.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de:8080/hyplan/niemann/index_en.html [/ggi]

Thanks
| Alex Roberts      |  |__][__ |___    \ |
| bse@dial.pipex.com|  |__]___]|___    /\|
| I live in England, and I'm proud of it |
 -------- http://nuklear.home.ml.org ----