  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 15:44:36 -0700 (PDT)

Re: PCI/non PCI card identification.

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Dirk Lattermann wrote:

> > > since some discussion was about detection of PCI cards, I just wanted to
> > > mention again: what about non PCI (e.g. VESA local bus) cards?
> > > (Yes, those systems still exist and perform sufficiently!)
> > >
> > > Can non PCI-cards be detected by the KGI-drivers?
> > > When I issued this question in november, Steffen said it was feature
> > > freeze for dali... (Ben Kosse suggested to have two separate compilation paths)
> > >
> > > This is intended only as a reminder, perhaps it is already considered
> > > or unnecessary for kgicon-kernels??
> >
> > Yes, they are detected by probing them directly. But they can't detected
> > automatically, at least not as easily as PCI cards.
>
> Well, sorry, I didn't express myself clearly. What I _really_ wanted to
> know is: is it mandatory to include the PCI support into the kernel to load
> a KGI-driver, even if one doesn't have a PCI mainboard (as in Dali)?

	I think so, yes.  Those PCI functions are exported by the kgicon
modules and therefore the insertion will probably fail without PCI
support in the kernel.

> Or is there a workaround?

	Not at the moment, PCI detection is hardwired into most of the
chipset drivers.  Eventually all that hardware and OS specific stuff will
be broken out into a separate KGI subsection, but right now KGI is
x86/ISA/PCI/Linux-specific.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'